Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Get Your Child Hooked on Spaghetti Squash

It is everything a toddler loves: it looks stringy like spaghetti, it has a great texture, and it is stiff and therefore easy to eat with a fork (or hands).

It is everything a mother loves: easy to prepare, nutritious, and kids love it.





Cut off both ends of the squash. Then cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and place both sides of squash inside down in a baking dish. Add enough water so squash is sitting in ½ inch of water. Cover with tin foil. Roast in 375 degree oven for 45 minutes, then turn squash over, cover, and roast another 15 minutes.

Remove from oven and scoop out “spaghetti” strands into bowl and serve.

You can also scoop “spaghetti” strands into a frying pan with butter. Add oregano and basil and toss – this is how I got my husband hooked on spaghetti squash. He now loves it and will eat it without the butter and herbs!


NOTE: this squash can be pureed into food for an infant or chopped finely for young toddlers.




COOKING TIP & HOMEMADE BABY FOOD ALERT:

if you have the oven on anyway - roast your butternut squash for tomorrow night (peel & cube squash, put in dish with some water, season with nutmeg and allspice) Mash as baby food before seasoning.

That is my spaghetti squash on top rack of oven & butternut squash roasting below it.

6 comments:

  1. Hi! Visiting & now following from MBC :)

    Love spaghetti squash!!!

    http://www.realmommy365.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love spaghetti squash and have turned my daughter onto it also. Great post!

    I am following you from MBC, share the love if you would:)

    www.momstheglue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. So good! Found you from MBC, following from www.ecomodernmom.com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds really good! Found your blog on MBC . . . I'm your newest follower! :) I hope you will come see me and follow me too. http://www.thewayiseethings.typepad.com

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found you from FFF; I'm following you,
    would love to get follow back at;

    http://beonefineday.blogspot.com

    Thanks for sharing.(and Thanks in advance for join my community at BlogFrog)

    Nan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm addicted to spaghetti squash now...love it (thanks to you)

    ReplyDelete